Ryan Baggett, Ed.D.
Associate Professor and Program Coordinator
B.S. Murray State University
M.S. Eastern Kentucky University
Ed.D. Eastern Kentucky University, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
- Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience
- Homeland Security Technology
- Risk Analysis
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Homeland Security and Critical Infrastructure Protection, 2nd Edition (2018)
- Homeland Security Technologies for the 21st Century (2017)
- Homeland Security and Critical Infrastructure Protection (2009)
- Former director of homeland security programs for EKU’s Justice and Safety Center
- Contractor / Principle Investigator – U.S. Department of Homeland Security & U.S. Department of Justice
Current University Service:
- Faculty Senator (Co-Chair – Information Technology Committee)
- Faculty Innovator (Deep Course Mentor)
- EKU Honors Program Advisory Committee
- University Academic Technology Advisory Committee
- EKU Computer Science Advisory Board
- Board of Directors – American Red Cross (Daniel Boone Chapter)
- Board of Directors – University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service (Madison)
- Faculty Advisor – National Order of the Sword and Shield Honor Society
- InfraGuard (Louisville Chapter)
- EKU Critical Thinking Teacher of the Year – 2013
- EKU Award for Teaching Excellence – 2014
- EKU Ecampus Faculty Advocate Award – 2015
- College of Justice and Safety Mentoring Award - 2016
- EKU High Impact Teaching Practice Award - 2019
Chad Foster, Ph.D.
B.S. United States Military Academy
M.P.A. University of Louisville
Ph.D. University of Louisville
Research and Academic Interests:
- Homeland Security and Disaster Management Policy
- Disaster Resilience and Social Vulnerability
- Community Preparedness and Emergency Management Systems
- Technology and Society
- High-Impact Educational Practices
Work History and Publications:
- Experience includes work as a Federal Emergency Management Agency contractor responsible for implementing various preparedness programs for the benefit of safety, security, and emergency management professionals nationwide.
- Managed multiple projects at the Council of State Governments, including an assessment of the National Capital Region using the Emergency Management Accreditation Program standard, and a Federal government-sponsored study of state law enforcement agencies following 9/11.
- Authored a variety of government publications and reports in direct support to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Published frequently as a public safety and justice analyst for the Council of State Governments.
- Recently co-edited and contributed to the book Homeland Security Technologies for the 21st Century.
- Passionate about student success and teaching and learning as it relates to homeland security, emergency/disaster management, and strategic planning and leadership.
Dr. Foster served in a variety of leadership positions in the U.S. Army as an armor officer, which included two overseas peacekeeping operations.
Joanne McGlown, Ph.D., RN
A.A.S. University of Alabama at Birmingham
A.A.S. University of Alabama at Birmingham
B.S. University of Montevallo (AL)
M.S.H.H.A University of Alabama at Birmingham
Ph.D. University of Alabama at Birmingham (Admin. Of Health Services / Strategy)
- Medical Aspects of Emergency and Disaster management
- Evidence-based Practices in Healthcare Disaster Management
- Global Disaster Medical and Healthcare Practices
- Executive Decision-making in the Evacuation of Healthcare Facilities
- Medical Countermeasures for Weapons of Mass Destruction
Dr. McGlown has several books and articles including:
- Anticipate – Response – Recover: Healthcare leadership and Catastrophic Events
- Terrorism and Disaster Management: Preparing Healthcare Leaders for the New Reality
- Evidence-based Criteria for Hospital Evacuation: The Case of Hurricane Katrina
- Evidence-based Criteria for Hospital Evacuation: The Case of Hurricane Katrina – Ten Years Later
- Homeland Security Challenges in Nursing Practice
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE); past-Board of Directors of the World Association of Disaster and Emergency Medicine (WADEM); Member, Sigma Theta Tau International (honor society of nursing); awarded 10 Who’s Who designations; Award for Public Service (highest commendation awarded a civilian for public service) – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT.
- Work Experience includes the following US agencies and organizations: FEMA-HQ; Battelle Memorial Institute, Argonne National Laboratories, DOD-CENTCOM, DHS/FEMA’s Center for Domestic Preparedness. Served as a Consultant to many organizations, including the CDC, and International Medical Corps.
Brian Simpkins, Ed.D.
- Intelligence and National Security
- Global Security
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Policy Analysis
Dr. Simpkins’ work can be found in several journals including:
- Foster, Chad, and Simpkins, Brian (2010, May). Evolving Mobile Command: Available and Needed Standards for Disaster Communications. Public Safety Communications, 76(5), p. 24-25.
- Simpkins, Brian (2017, July 26). How Intelligence Failures Contributed to ISIS Territorial Gains in Iraq. InPublicSafety. Available at: http://inpublicsafety.com/2017/07/how-intelligence-failures-contributed-to-isis-territorial-gain-in-iraq/
He has also co-authored books and book chapters including:
- Baggett, Ryan, and Simpkins, Brian (2018). Homeland Security and Critical Infrastructure Protection (2nd ed.). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Security International.
- Baggett, Ryan, Foster, Chad, and Simpkins, Brian (2017). Homeland Security Technologies for the 21st Century. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Security International.
- Robbins, Kacy, and Simpkins, Brian (forthcoming publication). Government Facilities as a Terrorist Target. In William Lahneman and Joseph Rudolph (Eds.), Combatting Terrorism in the 21st Century: American Laws, Strategies, and Agencies. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Security International.
- Simpkins, Brian (forthcoming publication). Critical Infrastructure as a Terrorist Target. In William Lahneman and Joseph Rudolph (Eds.), Combatting Terrorism in the 21st Century: American Laws, Strategies, and Agencies. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Security International.
- Simpkins, Brian (forthcoming publication). Critical Infrastructure: Critical Manufacturing Sector. In Lauren Shapiro and Marie-Helen Maras (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management. New York, NY: Springer.
- Simpkins, Brian (forthcoming publication). Critical Infrastructure: Emergency Services Sector. In Lauren Shapiro and Marie-Helen Maras (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management. New York, NY: Springer.
- Simpkins, Brian (forthcoming publication). Earth Liberation Front. In William Lahneman and Joseph Rudolph (Eds.), Combatting Terrorism in the 21st Century: American Laws, Strategies, and Agencies. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Security International.
- Infrastructure Analyst and Training Lead, Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc., 2004-2005
- Associate Director, Eastern Kentucky University Justice and Safety Center, 2005-2017
- Program Director – Institute for Research, Innovation, and Scholarship, American Public University System, 2016-2017
- Faculty Research Advisory Committee (University; 2019 – Present)
- International Education Committee (University; 2016 – 2019)
- International Scholarship Subcommittee (University; 2016 – 2019)
- International Exchange Committee (University; 2019)
- Academic Integrity and Grade Appeal Committee (Department; 2018 – Present)
- Homeland Security Strategic Planning Committee (Program; 2017 – Present)
- Publication Reviewer, Journal of Risk, Hazards, and Crisis in Public Policy, Publication Reviewer
- Publication Reviewer, Rowman and Littlefield Publishers
- American Board for Certification in Homeland Security (ABCHS)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) InfraGard, Kentucky Membership Alliance
- Homeland Security and Assets Protection Leaders of Tomorrow (HALT)
- International Association for Intelligence Education (IAFIE)
- International Studies Association (ISA), Intelligence Studies Section (ISS)
- Order of the Sword and Shield National Honor Society (OSS)
- EKU Critical Reading Teacher of the Year Award, 2018
- EKU Critical Thinking Teacher of the Year Award (2019, Nominee)
William Sullivan, Ed.D.
B.S. Police Administration - EKU
M.S. Safety Security & Emergency Mgt. – EKU Certificate in Homeland Security
Ed.D. Educational Leadership & Policy Studies - EKU
- Security Operations / Management
- Active Shooter / Mass Murder
- School Safety & Security
- LE & Security Training, Programs, & Personnel
- American Educational Research Association
- Assessment, Research, Networking, and Insights for Evaluation (ARNIE)
- Journal of School Leadership
- Major (Ret.) Kentucky State Police
- Department of Criminal Justice Training
- Kentucky Law Enforcement Council
- Instructor of the Year, Department of Criminal Justice Training
- Governor’s Medal of Valor
- Meritorious Service with Valor
- Two Commissioner’s Commendations
- Committee, Member, Academic Integrity Committee.
- Curriculum Committee Member, Kentucky Law Enforcement Council
- Committee Member, Academic Integrity & Grade Appeals Committee
- Committee Member, Academic Scholarship & Recognition Committee
- Committee Member, Faculty Search Committee
- Member of the Academic Scholarship and Recognition Committee
- Coach, Pistol Club at EKU
- Committee, Member, University Academic Planning and Assessment Committee (APAC)
- Committee, Member, EKU Campus Security Committee