Credit for Prior Learning

EKU recognizes that occasionally students have completed education, training classes, and work experiences that result in learning sufficiently similar to major/minor specific coursework; therefore, formal recognition of that body of knowledge, without taking the particular course, is warranted upon evaluation by appropriately qualified faculty.

The Non-EKU Academic Credit Policy

The Non-EKU Academic Credit Policy allows EKU students to demonstrate competence in specific courses and thus receive EKU academic credit in those subject areas. To be eligible, students must be:

  • Admitted
  • Enrolled
  • Degree seeking
  • In good academic standing
  • Have earned 12 credit hours at EKU in a recent term

EKU will award credit for prior learning and experiences through a portfolio evaluation.  For additional information, review Policy 4.2.11, Non-EKU Academic Credit.  Please note: not all departments participate in awarding credit for PL or they may limit which courses are eligible for credit through portfolio assessment. Students should check with the department prior to initiating the procedure outlined in this protocol.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®)

The College Board offers a College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®) that includes tests for various subject areas. These tests recognize a student's comprehensive subject knowledge acquired through independent or prior study.

The Office of Academic Testing is an open CLEP® testing center (testing current EKU students as well as non-students). 

EKU accepts credit for these examinations according to the following guidelines:

  • No credit is given for exams without equivalent courses at EKU.
  • In order to receive credit, a student must complete the Credit-by-Examination form available from the Office of Academic Testing located in the Whitlock Building, room 340.
  • For tests not administered at EKU, there is a $25.00 processing fee.  

For more information or to register for testing, visit

Academic Credit for Military Service

Each service produces a transcript listing academic equivalency for military training and experience based on guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE)

Once you have a copy of your military transcripts, MVA can help you determine which military credits might apply towards your degree plan. Some may be applied toward general education or degree requirements while most will likely count as free elective credits.